Welcome to All The Write Places, by a Baby Boomer who travels with style!
My stories and adventures have been published in Chicago Life, Where to Retire, Journal & Topics Newspapers, Chicago Tribune, LongWeekends, RealFoodTraveler.com, HolidayMag.co.uk, UrbanMatter Chicago, Windy City Media and more. Check out my clips:
- PENSACOLA’S FOO FOO FEST
With a silly-sounding name like Foo Foo Fest, you know you’re in for a fun time. My story in RealFoodTraveler.com tells why you want to be in Pensacola, FL, for 12 days of culture, arts, entertainment, cuisine–and, of course, those incredibly gorgeous white beaches! Read about it here.
- WHERE TO RETIRE: Door County, WI
Where to Retire magazine, September/October 2018
- ARCHITECT JACKIE KOO HAS DESIGNS ON NAVY PIER
Chicago’s Number One visitor attraction, Navy Pier, will soon gain a new hotel and rooftop bar. Hospitality visionary Jackie Koo is the architect. Read my story in Chicago Life magazine here.
Your next salad or sandwich at O’Hare International Airport could be so locally sourced, it was picked down the hallway. The Chicago airport touts the world’s first aeroponic garden, which several terminal restaurants cull for ingredients. My story in DiningOut-EatingIn.com.
Hand-crafted spirits are all the rage these days–what intrigues me is they all have fascinating back-stories. Franklin County Distilleries in Boones Mill, VA, is the first legal distillery in the county since Prohibition Days. And the Old Sugar Distillery in Madison, WI, draws on the area’s history as a sugar beet producer for its inspiration. I contributed my picks to this story in RealFoodTraveler.com.
Ann Arbor is not just about Big 10 football. It’s a prime destination for foodies, too. In this Midwestern city, home to the University of Michigan, you’ll find a mix of international flavors seasoned with a strong farm-to-table ideology. Add to that a retinue of artisanal producers, quirky food trucks and dog-loving sidewalk cafes. And cherries. Lots of cherries. Read my story in RealFoodTraver.com here.
The Roger Blough wasn’t due for an hour, but spectators had already gathered at the observation platform in Soo Locks Park. They came to watch the 858-foot freighter pass through a lock, thereby avoiding the fierce rapids and steep drop-off on the St. Mary’s River. The river links Lake Huron on the east and Lake Superior on the west in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It’s the primary waterway for shipping cargo between the Great Lakes and Atlantic Ocean.
- MONTERREY: MUSEUMS, MOUNTAINS AND MORE MAKE MEXICAN METROPOLIS A MAGNET, JOURNAL & TOPICS, 1/30/2017
As Mexico’s third-largest metropolis, Monterrey (with two r’s) has long been a global business destination. But it is quickly growing in popularity with pleasure travelers as well.
- AMAZING AMAZON: TROPICAL ADVENTURE STARTS IN PERU WHERE ENVIRONMENTAL WONDERS AWAIT, JOURNAL & TOPICS 11/14/2016
The Amazon River basin is a tropical wilderness that is pretty much unchanged from when European explorers discovered it nearly 500 years ago.
- DESERT SPAS, CHICAGO LIFE 10/16/2016
The Sonoran Desert beckons with promises of endless sunshine, towering saguaro cacti and fuchsia sunsets. The area also boasts one of the highest concentrations of resort and day spas in the country.
- CHRISTMAS ENCHANTS ALONG THE RHINE RIVER
- JOURNAL & TOPICS MEDIA GROUP 9/11/2015
- FRENCH LICK: LGBT HOSPITALITY in INDIANA
- WINDY CITY MEDIA GROUP 5/19/2015
- SWIMMING WITH WHALE SHARKS IN CANCUN: AN UNDERWATER SAFARI MEXCONNECT.COM 4/11/2015
- KOHLER’S WISCONSIN RESORT PROVIDES RENOVATION INSPIRATION, CHICAGO TRIBUNE 3/3/2015
- HolidayMag.co.uk, 11/21/2014
- ADULTS-ONLY SPOTS IN CANCUN, WINDY CITY MEDIA GROUP 12/17/2014
- CANCUN RESORT HITS THE PLEASURE SPOT, WINDY CITY MEDIA GROUP 1/7/2014